When people hear "University of Hawai`i" they immediately think of the University of Hawaii at Manoa which is on the island of Oahu. The University of Hawaii at Hilo (UHH) is in the town of Hilo on the east coast of the Island of Hawaii which is also called "The Big Island."
It takes about 50 minutes from Honolulu, the capital of Hawaii, to Hilo. Although Hilo is a small town, there are shopping malls, grocery stores, and a variety of restaurants.
Do you like to go to the beach??
There is the one of most beautiful beaches for snorkeling in Hilo. It is called Rechardson's Ocean center. Also, you can take a free city bus to the west side of the Big Island (Kailua-Kona) to take a rest on a white sand beach or swim with dolphins!
Do you like to hike??
There is an active volcano on the Big Island, which is called Kilauea volcano. You can see the crater in the Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Or, you can go to the coast to see the hot lava flowing into the ocean.Also, Mauna loa is wonderful place to hike.
Do you like star gazing??
Mauna Kea is the best place in the world to see stars. You can see a bunch of stars from Mauna Kea that you have not seen yet.
UHH is surrounded by great nature, so it's a great place to study and have outside experiences!!
- University of Hawai`i at Hilo: http://www.uhh.hawaii.edu/
- Prince Kuhio Plaza: http://www.princekuhioplaza.com/html/
- Downtown Hilo: http://www.downtownhilo.com/
- Mauna Kea Visitor Information Station: http://www.ifa.hawaii.edu/info/vis/
- Hawai`i Volcanoes National Park: http://www.nps.gov/havo
- Hele-on bus: http://heleonbus.org